Uncover the glitz and glamour of Italy’s most beloved lake region as you experience life a la George Clooney. This comprehensive guide will indulge you in the art of sophisticated living in Lake Como, presenting insights into how to savor the same luxurious lifestyle enjoyed by one of Hollywood’s most revered stars. From staying in opulent hotels, dining at upscale restaurants, enjoying boat tours with sweeping views of grand villas, to navigating the cobblestone streets of charming towns, this guide provides an insider’s view into how to emulate Clooney’s elegant way of life in this beautiful part of the world. So, ready your espresso, don your Italian designer sunglasses, and prepare for a sojourn to the jewel of Lombardy: Lake Como.
Immerse yourself in unpretentious luxury with an Italian sojourn to Lake Como, the glistening jewel of Lombardy. Renowned for its impeccable beauty, grand villas, and inviting culture, Lake Como offers an unparalleled blend of elegance, allure, and charm that captivates even the most discerning traveler.
Arriving in Lake Como
Whether jetting in from the bustling metropolis of Milan or a quaint corner of Europe, arriving at Lake Como is just the start of your Italian adventure. Fly into Milan Malpensa Airport (MXP), where the serenity of Lake Como is a mere hour’s drive away. For a stress-free transfer, consider hiring a private car service to whisk you directly to the lakeside. Should you prefer the scenic route, the Italian railways provide a direct connection from Milan to Como, setting the tone for a picturesque journey.
Where to Stay
The accommodations around Lake Como are nothing short of opulent. Options range from storied hotels to elegant villas, each providing an idyllic retreat that will captivate the senses.
- Villa d’Este: A historic property nestled in Cernobbio, Villa d’Este, housed in a 16th-century residence, features a luxury spa, private balconies, and an impressive floating pool on the lake itself.
- Grand Hotel Tremezzo: This Art Nouveau palace in Tremezzo offers five-star luxury against a backdrop of stunning lake views, complete with a private beach, three swimming pools, and a spa.
- Castadiva Resort & Spa: In the charming village of Blevio, CastaDiva resort delivers serenity with its wellness area, private villas, and suites amidst lush gardens and lake views.
Where to Dine
The culinary landscape of Lake Como is as varied and appealing as the region itself. Ranging from traditional Italian fare to inventive fusion cuisine, Lake Como’s dining scene leaves nothing to be desired.
- Locanda dell’Isola Comacina: Situated on Lake Como’s only island, this restaurant offers a fixed menu of local specialties against the backdrop of breathtaking lake views.
- The Market Place: A contemporary delight in the heart of Como, this restaurant gives traditional Italian dishes a modern twist. The open kitchen design allows you to observe the culinary mastery firsthand.
- Ristorante La Vista: This gem, nestled within the opulent Hotel Villa Serbelloni, offers stunning lake views and a delightful menu teeming with local and international cuisine.
Lake Como’s Safety and Hospitality
Lake Como, while a playground for the elite, maintains an air of tranquil safety. Common travel precautions apply, but rest assured that the region is considered safe for tourists. Locals are notoriously warm and hospitable, eagerly sharing their love for their homeland with visitors. Though knowledge of Italian is not necessary, basic phrases may enrich your interaction with locals and add to your overall experience.
Navigating Lake Como
Navigating Lake Como is a breeze with its reliable and extensive ferry system, allowing you to experience the lake and its surroundings from a unique perspective. Taxis are readily available for land travel, and while ridesharing services such as Uber exist, their availability may be limited, especially in smaller towns.
Lake Como’s magnetic charm has long attracted the rich and famous, including George Clooney, who owns the idyllic Villa Oleandra in Laglio. While the villa isn’t open to the public, one can admire it from afar during a boat tour. Celebrity spotting is just another part of the Lake Como experience, particularly in exclusive towns like Bellagio, Cernobbio, and Tremezzina.
A trip to Lake Como offers more than just a break from the ordinary – it presents a world of laid-back luxury, enticing cuisine, and mesmerizing views. It invites you to step into a slower pace of life and bask in the unspoiled elegance that is quintessentially Italian. Enjoy every moment in this haven of tranquility and style; your journey is just beginning.
BECOME A PURSUITIST VIP!
Sign up for our Free Insider Enewsletter. Get exclusive access. No ads, ever!
Rated ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ from Forbes, The New York Times & The Wall Street Journal.